  • Subject: Re: ATB printing
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:09:26 -0500 (EST)

Jeffrey,

<<snip>>
>  Any ideas on how to get the print stream to the ATB printer?  Right now
>  we're think of writing a PC program to modify the print stream (once
>  we've somehow gotten it down to a PC) and send it to the ATB printer, or
>  maybe use some kind of program on the 400 to write to the printer and
>  hook it up over a V.24 comm line, or set the printer up (via an attached
>  PC) for TCP/IP as a remote printer (maybe using some kind of workstation
>  customizing object to alter the print stream?).

Rather bizarre that your current print doesn't generate a spooled file, if it
works at all it should work via SPLF!  As usual, "it depends".  If your
printer is attached to a box that can interpret the commands (if they look
like <ESC>, <BOLD>, <3OF9>, etc.), there is no reason that they shouldn't
work no matter how the printer is attached (or what type it is).

If all else fails, you should be able to set the printer up via TCP/IP and
use the TRNSPY CVTDTA command in your print file if the printer accepts ASCII
commands (with the device set up to "Host Print Transform" *YES).  For more
fancy printer stuff, visit Pete Hall's web page -- www.inwave.com/~peteh.
 Pete has accumulated all of the "foreign device" printing knowledge of the
list, combined it with his own, and published a rather succinct synopsis on
the subject.

HTH,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"After thirty, the body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler