  • Subject: RE: Signon display change
  • From: "Kahn, David" <KAHN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 02:39:12 +0500

If your custom sign-on screen gets deleted or in some other way becomes
unusable the system is supposed to default to the standard IBM one.
However, it gives me a greater feeling of comfort to know that there is
one terminal that has an unmodified screen, and I can still get into the
system if the normal interactive subsystem stops working properly. This
is achieved simply by leaving the SGNDSPF parameter at QSYS/QDSIGNON for
the QCTL subsystem.

Physically our consoles are twin session dumb terminals. One session is
the console in QCTL and the other functions as a normal terminal in
QINTER. Because the sign-on screens are different it's very obvious
which session you're signing on to.

By default the console runs at priority 10 which makes it the highest
priority job on the system. This is useful if something starts hogging
the system as the other terminals may not be able to get any response at
all. It enables you to get into the system, find out what's going on,
and fix it. However, you don't want to run normal interactive tasks at
this priority as you will affect the response time of other users.

Dave Kahn, TCO, Kazakstan
=========