  • Subject: re: anectdotal NT story
  • From: boothm@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 97 21:32:38 -0500

Al, you were asking: here's a cut&paste from a newsgroup post: (I find the
story slightly suspect because of the "a few months ago" comment)

>  Windows NT 4.0, has far less horsepower than rival systems and
>  can't handle as many users on one file server...

A good friend of mine works in system admin. of a national chain of
specialty stores.  There are approx. 400 stores.  All point of sale
terminals are frame relayed into a central site running AS400 systems.
 The system operated "rock solid".  A few months ago, top management
decided to dump the AS400s and migrate to NT.  The results were,
according to my friend, "a total disaster".  NT couldn't handle peak
transaction loads, and the administration of the system was a
"nightmare".  She reported to upper management that NT was not the
solution, but they went ahead and hired an NT consultant in an attempt to
make it work.  The results were the same.  Needless to say, they  are
happily running AS400s again.
I suspect there are many similar experiences with NT...