To all

Here's a somewhat annotated list of resources I've found useful or
appealing or promising for a newbie to Java :-). I think I'm willing to
maintain it, for a while, at least, so please submit other items to me
privately. I'll put in anything y'all find useful. Please include a bit of
annotation, if possible or necessary. And feel free to submit additional
comments on the items already listed.

Let me recommend that you get a PostScript reader. Some of the best stuff
is in PS format. There's a free one called GhostView that uses GhostScript
(also free) to process the PS file. The Ghostscript home page is at
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

The other thing to get is Acrobat Reader, for .PDF files. The latest
version is 3.01, available at
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html (or start at
http://www.adobe.com/ )

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
*-*-*-*-*

IBM Centre for Java Technology Development
        http://ncc.hursley.ibm.com/javainfo/j_hurindex.html

        The place that is developing the AS/400 JVM

IBM VisualAge for Java
        http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/vajava/

        The home page for the VA for Java development product

IBM VisualAge for Java Demo and Tutorial Screencams
        http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/vajava/vajscdemo1.html

        Some nice screens showing how to use VA for Java

IBM Software: VisualAge for Java and the AS/400
        http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/as400/vajava/

        Home page for VA for Java

IBM Tech Tip Corner
        http://www.training.ibm.com/ibmedu/techtip/

        For Java, go to the Object Technology link—has, at present, 3 links
        to common programming errors in Java

Java Education - Introduction to Java Online Course
        http://www.ibm.com/java/education/intro/courseoptions.htm

        This is nice—requires you download IBM's streaming audio & video
        product, called Bamba

Java Education - Simplify Printing in Java 1.1
        http://www.ibm.com/java/education/printing/

        Excerpt from book on OO principles in Java, by James W. Cooper,
        IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center

Java Education - What's So Hot about Java
        http://www.ibm.com/java/education/hotjava.html

        Java's impact on development, by an IBM AIX'er

Java Home - IBM
        http://www.ibm.com/java/

        IBM's Java home page—follow the links

Java Home - Sun
        http://www.javasoft.com:81

        Sun's Java home page—check out the Java Developer Connection—it's free

Sun's Java Tutorial
        http://java.sun.com:81/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

        Browser-based version of the book—downloadable version available for
free

Java Tips for C++ Programmers
        http://dictator.uwaterloo.ca/~k2tam/javatips.html

Porting C++ to Java
        http://www.taligent.com/Technology/WhitePapers/PortingPaper/index.html

        IBM's OO branch—check out Taligent for all kinds of things

Reusing C code in Java
        http://www.knosof.co.uk/ctojava.html

Making Sense of Java
        http://reality.sgi.com/shiffman/Java-QA.html

Java - Moving VB Programmers To Java
        http://www.ibm.com/java/education/javavb/javavb.htm

        By James W. Cooper, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center

Java vs. C++: A Critical Comparison
        http://www.innergy.com/idm/v1n5/idm0996a.html

Programming in Java - A Tutorial
        http://www.lotus.com/research/21e6.htm

        The source materials for a Java Programming Tutorial developed by
        David Mitchell of the IBM Center for Java Technology Development
        at IBM's Hursley Lab in the UK

Gamelan
        http://www.gamelan.com/

        Far-reaching collection of Java-related information

Java Programming Resources: Java, Java and More Java.
        http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/

        By Marty Hall, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab

The Java Developer
        http://www.digitalfocus.com/faq/

Brewing Java: A Tutorial
        http://sunsite.unc.edu/javafaq/javatutorial.html

        Extensive

Cafe au Lait
        http://sunsite.unc.edu/javafaq/

        Parent site for 'Brewing Java: A Tutorial'

*-*-*-*-*
Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480