  • Subject: Re: Dynamic embedded SQL (in RPG) example -Reply -Reply -Reply
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 15:19:41 -0600

>>> Scott Cornell <CORNELLS@mercyhealth.com> 10/06 9:47 am >>>

>One tricky work-around thing you might try
>- you can save the intermediate source
>generated by the SQL pre-compiler (it ends
>up in QTEMP I believe and you can copy it
>from there to a permanent source file).
>The pre-compiler replaces all EXEC-END EXEC
>blocks w/"normal" calls to the appropriate
>system API's.  To the extent that the pgm
>object *DOES* work on systems w/o SQL/400
>(indicating the API's exist even if SQL/400
>isn't installed), I would suspect that the
>pre-compiler massaged code would also
>compile on those systems...actually, given
>OPM non-bound calls, it should compile,
>even if the called pgm doesn't exist.  Heck
>it might even work correctly too.  A brave
>new world to experiment with, if you're so
>inclined. :)

>Scott Cornell

I do not have any need to try this now, but when tried
it back in 1991 I got an error that said that the program
was compiled with the wrong compiler.  I tried compiling
and running that source today to see what would happen.
It compiled but when I ran it I got a message "SQL system
error"  preceded by a pointer error.  If you need SQL you
are probably best off buying it.

David Morris