Dan
At 03:51 PM 10/2/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a good example of dynamic embedded SQL in an RPG
>program?
>
>I'd like to build the select statement depending on parameter values passed
>to the program.

This is a different wrinkleŚlook into SQL Call Level Interface (CLI). This
is essentially the same interface as is used in ODBC. Some considerations
are (1) you don't need the SQL Development licensed product, which you do
need for embedded SQL; (2) you don't need to worry about any SQLCA or SQLDA
structures; (3) you still have complete replacement variable functionality
with parameter markers; (4) since dynamic embedded SQL cannot take
advantage of stored access plans anyway, this seems a viable alternative,
as well as using a syntax that is cross-platform.

There's a full manual on the technique, although the examples are mostly in
C, if I remember rightly. It also may be that the calls can only be done in
an ILE language, RPG IV is fine for that. Maybe Java would work, too.

Just a crazy ideaŚ

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480

+---