  • Subject: Re: Security Level 50
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 08:00:07 -0700

Dean,

Level 50 was created to be compliant with DOD's C2 security standard (Level
50 does not equal C2, it's just a prerequisite).  It adds very little value
over level 40 for most business environments, and it does extract a
performance penalty.  (At COMMON, Wayne Evans was saying that the
performance penalty _could_ be as high as 20%, though some of the current
IBM security people were disputing that number).

The only reason I can think of for running at level 50 is that you are a
software vendor and you want to be sure that what you develop will work on a
customer's level 50 machine.

jte

At 07:54 PM 9/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey Folks!
>
>I was just discussing this with someone else, and was wondering if anyone out
>there is using security level 50 on the AS/400.  What advantages does 50
>provide over level 40?  What are the considerations in moving from 40 to 50?
> From 30 to 50?  All insight appreciated...
>
>TIA!
>
>Dean Asmussen
>Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
>Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
>E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM
>
>"The trouble with life in the fast lane is that you get to the other end in
>an awful hurry." -- John Jensen
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com".
>|    and specify 'unsubscribe MIDRANGE-L' in the body of your message.
>+---

* John Earl             Lighthouse Software Inc.*
* johnearl@lns400.com   8514 71st NW            *
* 206.858.7388          Gig Harbor, WA 98335    *

And now a little Spam Bait for the
automatic mail readers:

Chairman Reed Hundt:            rhundt@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello:      jquello@fcc.gov