  • Subject: RE: TCP/IP queue definitions
  • From: "Kahn, David" <KAHN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 08:39:00 +0600

Michael Dorr (dorrma@mis1.bay.k12.fl.us) wrote:

>The printers work as they should, but I cannot see them when I
>select "Work with Writers".  I can, however, see them when I go to "WRKOUTQ".

The default on WRKWTR is *PRT - writers attached to printers. Your new
writers are not attached to printers; they are remote. To see them you
need to use WRKWTR *ALL.

>The tech told me to set the printers up in the QGPL library, but the only
printer
>that shows up is the locally attached PRT01 which is defined in QUSERSYS.
The
>tech's response to me was "I can see printers on my system that have been
defined
>this way! Can you print to the Optra Ns?" (yes), "Then don't worry about it."
>Well, I may not worry about it, but my users do when they can't see their
>printers.  I could define the printers in QUSERSYS, but I noticed several
>would like to do it the right way.   What does it take for my users to see
the
>QGPL defined printers?

OK, there's a couple of things there. Firstly, all my remote output
queues and dummy device descriptions are set up in QUSRSYS and they work
fine. I don't know of any advantage in putting them in QGPL. QGPL or
QUSRSYS, it should make no difference to the visibility.

Secondly, you've probably just created remote output queues, which is
all you need to do to get the system working. Your users are used to
seeing device descriptions for the printers and you don't have any. This
can cause problems if users are in the habit of printing by setting the
DEV parameter of the spooled file instead of OUTQ. You may also have
automated process that do this and now don't work. You can either
retrain your users and convert all your processes, or you can just set
up a dummy device description for each queue.

For example, if your output queue is WHSE01, you could create a dummy
printer using CRTDEVPRT  DEVD(WHSE01) DEVCLS(*VRT) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1)
ONLINE(*NO) FONT(011). This device does nothing except have the same
name as the queue, but it still allows you to print by specifying a
device rather than an output queue. The system simply moves the spooled
file to the output queue with the same name. The users will still get
confused because they will take F22=Printers from WRKSPLF, and the dummy
printers will show END status although the writers with the same name
will be started. They'll then try to start the writers and nothing will
happen. The help desk calls will change from "I can't see my printer" to
"none of the printers will start".

>Question #2 - How do I print to these Optra printers directly.  They have
their
>own IP addresses, so I would like to bypass the Novell print queues if
possible.

Add an entry in TCP/IP host table for WHSE01 or make sure your name
server has the entry and set up the remote system parameter of the
remote output queue to be WHSE01 (or whatever).

HTH

Dave Kahn - TCO, Tengiz, Kazakstan
=========

e-mail:  kahn@tengizchevroil.com    (until September 30th)