  • Subject: Re: JAVA (was Re: ADVERTISING SUPPORT/ComputerWorld 7/28 - LONG)
  • From: FORKEES@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:58:13 -0400 (EDT)

Ok,

I read your comments about Java, and let me say, it's my opinion that you
could not be more off target.  I agree that companies such as IBM and MS will
use HTML to further enable the distribution of information, but you are
missing the whole point of Java.

HTML is NOT a programming language! JAVA IS!  Java's key strength is that you
can write Java code that will run on any platform that has the Java
interpreter.  So what if a Java application might run slower than a native
compiled C program or a Visual Basic program, the point is that with Java you
can write a program one time, and have it run on any platform without any
modifications.

Also, lets not forget, Java is a true object oriented programming language.
 The programmer can write a procedure (Class) one time, and the fuctionality
of this class can be inherited and changed by other sub-classes without
having to write the same code over and over in different procedures or
programs.  This type of architecture allows for true "plug and play" of
different "objects" or "packages".

I'm not claiming to be a Java expert, but I have programed on legacy systems
in COBOL, ASSEMBLER, and I've also programed in Visual Basic, Pascal, etc,
etc,
I'm currently teaching myself Java, and let me say that Java is much better
than CGI scripting and plain HTML.

IBM is currently spending millions to make Java native to the AS400.  This is
an excellent idea, and when companies start developing their mainstay
programs in Java, the development process will take less time and will speed
implementation of new code.  IBM and SUN are currently working on Java
security and performance issues, and I know that I for one will definately
benefit.

Thank you,
bowkert@megsinet.net