  • Subject: Year 2K The Problem or Party of the century
  • From: Glenn Ericson <Glenn-Ericson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 08:57:06 -0400

OK  here it is  direct from URL
 http://www.yahoo.com/headlines/970815/news/stories/millennium_1.html

Clinton  discusses  gov't & private industry PLUS focus  on
 Hillarys celebration of the century project

>>Friday August 15 11:40 PM EDT

Clinton Pledges to Ready Computers for 2000

WASHINGTON (Reuter) - President Clinton Friday pledged government
computers would not be plagued by the "millennium bug," a flaw that will
have some systems mistakenly calculating the year 2000 as 1900.

"We can't have the American people looking to a new century and a new
millennium with their computers, the very symbol of modernity in the
modern age, holding them back and we are determined to see that it
doesn't happen," Clinton said during a speech at the National Archives.

The problem arises from computers programmed to record only the last two
digits of the year. Such computers may treat the year 2000 as the year
1900, generating serious errors or even crashing the systems.

"I want to assure the American people that the federal government, in
cooperation with state and local government and the private sector, is
taking steps to prevent any interruption in government services,"
Clinton added in his first remarks addressing the year 2000 computer
issue.

Estimates for correcting the problem worldwide range as high as $600
billion, but administration officials have said the government can
correct its computers for less than $3 billion.

Industry officials and some lawmakers have warned that the cost could be
much higher. They said the government is moving too slowly to assess and
correct the flaws.

A report by the Office of Management and Budget released last month
found 71 percent of the government's most important computers yet to be
repaired or replaced.

(71 % sounds much the the same 8/12/97 IBM Y2K/ AS/400 Teleconference )

"Their schedules are slipping and they're not where they need to be,"
said Bob Cohen, spokesman for the Information Technology Association of
America, which had called on Clinton to address the issue.

(snip - agency reports)

Clinton's speech largely focused on celebrations planned for the year
2000. He said first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton would lead a millennium
project overseeing the U.S. celebration of the new century.

# # #
>Have you seen the Bill Clinton  Whitehouse  statement this week  on
Yr/2000  public & private sectors  >support statement.  No  relief  but a
supportive  statement. If   anyone is interested  guess I  might  locate a