  • Subject: RE: ADVERTISING SUPPORT/ComputerWorld 7/28 - LONG
  • From: Bob Cozzi <BobCozzi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:08:19 -0500

Everyone,

FYI,

I tend to type a little to quickly sometimes, and type the word "USE" when
I mean "US" and "US" when I mean "USE".  There are other subtleties in my
e-mail as well. I apologies.  In this one, I initially mistyped "disease"
and selected the wrong replacement when the spell-checker prompted me. So I
do know the difference between dead and dying.  <g>  Perhaps there's a hint
of irony in there. <g>

Bob

On Thursday, August 14, 1997 10:14 PM, Joe Teff [SMTP:jteff19@IDT.NET]
wrote:
> Bob, I agree completely with your point of view. Every couple of years a
new "magic" solution comes along that will fix everything (4th GL, Case,
LANS, Client/Server, UNIX....). Each has their niche, but none are the
final solution. I am planning to learn C++ and Java just because it's
something new to learn. I learned Flex/Edit. I learned AS/SET. I learned
Visual Objects. I learned Visual Basic. I learned MS Access. I learned
Impromptu. I learned Oracle. I still program in RPG using PDM on the AS/400
everyday for my job. Many shops still use Windows 3.1 on PCs. I know more
shops that run CISC boxes than RISC boxes. Most are still trying to figure
out if the Internet will add value to their business (to justify actually
implementing a solution).

> Joe Teff
> QDS
> Bloomington, MN
> ----------
> Bob Cozzi wrote:
>
> The think about JAVA is that it is our industry's decease of the week,
this
> week.
>
> A few years ago, it was OO, then C++, now Java. None of these things will
> help the AS/400, and while I don't know Bruce Bond, I think the idea of
> giving up RPG for Java is, well, in a word, STUPID!
>
> Yes, learning Java is fine. I love learning. I encourage learning. But
most
> of these blanket statements telling use successful AS/400 developers to
> stop using X in order to use Y is stupid. Where are these new decease of
> the week coming from? They come from the rest of the industry. The
unstable
> industry. Their applications keep not working so they keep coming up with
> ways to get the job of programming out of the programmer's hands. Yes
they
> write cool embedded systems, in things like the USRobotics PalmPilot, or
> the Mars Sojourner rover, but they do not like to write general purpose
> business applications.
>
> General Purpose Business applications need stable easy to read, and
> manipulate languages like RPG, COBOL, and PL/I. Java pretty close to an
> okay, stable language and perhaps it will become another COBOL or RPG.
But
> did the COBOL programmers give up COBOL when RPG on the AS/400 become
> popular? Did the RPG programmers give up RPG when C became popular on the
> AS/400? Some did, but the other 99.9 percent did not.
>
> Today, again in my opinion, Java is a brain-dead language that requires
> entirely too much coding to do a simple interactive application. This is
> not to say that it may not become a good language at some point, but
today
> it isn't as useful as magazine writers an analyst say it is. After all,
we
> all get board with the same thing day in and day out. We get board with
> green screen terminals, so we get color, we get board with color and we
get
> graphical (OOPS, Rochester still can spell graphical yet.. sorry <g>).
The
> people writing magazine article and doing lectures get really board
talking
> about something that "just works". It is much more exciting to write
about
> the newest and greatest stuff. It is very boring to write about the RPG
> cycle, or the CHAIN opcode.
>
> We as developers get board too. We have the unique opportunity, within
our
> industry, to actually change our careers without changing our profession.
> That is if we get board with RPG, we can go do something else, such as
work
> for Microsoft. Those opportunities are there for us, but for others, it
is
> much more difficult.
>
> Businesses are in the business of making money, and staying in business
> make money. The AS/400 is still the most reliable system (in my opinion)
of