  • Subject: Re: ADVERTISING SUPPORT/ComputerWorld 7/28 - LONG
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:51:55 -0700

mcrump@ballfoster.com wrote:

<snip>
> But at the same time, IBM's push to make the AS/400 a Java
> machine gives Java developers a way to program on the AS/400.
>
> For example, Gartner Group, Inc. analyst Bruce Bond
> recommends that AS/400 shops stop programming in
> RPG, the box's traditional midrange programming language,
> in favor of newer methods such as Java.

Thanks..we've downloaded the Java developers kit from the IBM site.

This does bring up an interesting point...if to fill the AS/400 skill
void Java programmers are brought in, what happens to the demand for
staff skilled in legacy RPG code?  It would appear that the educational
push is toward operational/tuning skills (OS/400) and new language
skills.

Unless there is a global push for application replacement, legacy shops
will still be faced with a skilled labor shortage to support their RPG
for maybe the next 20 years.  IMHO there will still be enhancements to
RPG along the way, it's the investment in software which will always be
a key factor in the decision for hardware upgrade/replacement and as
long as you're using RPG you will stay blue.  This still leaves it
primarily up to the shops using RPG to support their local colleges.

And wouldn't it be a real kicker that just about the time you've got
Java down pat, it busts out into the multitude of flavors like C and
your skills again become restricted by the box! =:-o