  • Subject: re: huge error messages; 5,000+ pages
  • From: "Booth Martin" <boothm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:42:20 EST

On V3R1:

After working without hitch for  several years, we are suddenly
getting 5,000+ page error reports from one department.

The machines involved are PCs, two with Win 3.1 and one with Win95.
The errors all seem to occur the same way: The PC locks up for no
apparent reason and requires a hard boot to restart.  The
AS/400 session just continues on until the next IPL or until the
session is ended with a WRKACTJOB command.  Inspection of
the error logs all point to the same kind of error;

----------------------
  Message . . . . :   Permanent    I/O error occurred (C G S D F).
      Cause . . . . .   :   The RPG program
TRNA2M in  library INQ2 at statement 126200  detected a permanent
(not  recoverable) file, session, or   device error.  The   session,
 device and/or program has been  stopped.

The statement number (126200 in this example) always points to an
EXFMT or WRITE of a screen format.

The only thing that we've done recently that affects all of these
machines the same is that the AS/400 library itself was totally
redone to be Y2K compliant.  My first feeling was that I really
messed up on a program, but it's not one program, and in fact some of
the programs involved are Pro-Gen programs.

Anyone have any ideas?