>>At 09:20 PM 8/6/97 -0400, PaulMmn wrote:
>>>Well, here it is Old RPG II Programmer's Week...
>>>Allright--- how many of you remember what an ADDROUT file was used for??
>>
>><raising hand>
>>
>>Hmmm... wasn't that used to sort files, where the actual sorted data was
>>just the RRN of the file with the data?  You had to define some weird "E"
>>spec's to link the addrout file to the master file.
>>
>Using a SORTR record sort required you to have enough disk space to hold not
>only the input file but also a work file with a record length of the input
>file plus the sort fields and output file with the same record length as the
>input file.
>
>The SORTA record address sort permitted you to perform a sort with minimal
>disk space available.  The record length of the work file was the length of
>the key fields and the record length of the output file was 3 bytes.
>
>Record address sorts are also called ADDROUT sorts (for address out).  The
>output file from a SORTA contains relative record number offsets for the
>records to be processed from the input file.  This is NOT a relative record
>number, e.g. record at relative record number 1 in the sorted input file has
>an offset of 0 in the ADDROUT output file.
>
>On the AS/400, the main value of the SORTA record address file is for S/36
>environment coexistance.  When you are converting a S/36 system to native,
>you can easily convert the RPG II programs to RPG III program described
>files still driven by procedures.  You can externally describe the files and
>continue to use them as program described files within an RPG III program
>still drive by procedures with no modifications.
>
>But when you change the converted RPG III programs to use externally
>described files, you have a problem with disk sort.  The output of a disk
>sort is a program described file.
>
>The simplest solution to this problem is to change the disk sorts to record
>address sorts.  The record address file can be used to process an externally
>described file in RPG III.  Thus the only changed required to the procedures
>are to change the SORTR to a SORTA and eliminate the FDC data specifications.
>
>The coding of an addrout file in RPG is very simple.  S/36 environment sorts
>create a 3 byte output file.  Native FMTDTA sorts create a 4 byte output
>file.  RPG III can define the ADDROUT file as either 3 or 4 bytes.  It makes
>no difference how the ADDROUT file was created.
>
>In following RPG/400 sample, the file ADDROUT is the output of a SORTA.  The
>file OS6MASTR is the input to the sort and is processed in the RPG program
>using the ADDROUT file.
>
>*.. 1 ...+... 2 ...+... 3 ...+... 4 ...+... 5 ...+... 6 ...+... 7 ...+... 8
>FFilenameIPEAF....RlenLKlAIOvKlocEDevice+......Kexit++Entry+A....U1........
>FOS6MASTRIP  E                    DISK
>FADDROUT IR  F       3  3 T      EDISK
>
>E....FromfileTofile++ArrnamN/rN/rbLenPDSArrnamLenPDSComments...............
> [...]

That's it!  You've done it!   Jay, tell Charlie just what he's won!

...Charlie, you've won an autographed copy of that famous book of the '60s,
"Programming RPG For the IBM 360."  -And- that's not all...   You've also
won a trip to Philadelphia!  You'll stay at the famous Independence Hall
Arms.  And dine at "Top of the Bell," just off Independence Square.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com