Bob:
There was a thread on this not too long ago.  Basically you create a source
file (ie QFTPSRC) with members and enter the ftp subcommands there.  Then
you use a OVRDBF command to override the input file name to your FTP source
member and the FTP command will read from your source member.  I'm sorry I
can't be more specific, however I don't access to my system right now.  The
TCP/IP manual has a good example of a simple CL program to do this.
Otherwise drop me a private email and I will send you my code example.
REgards,
Carl

At 10:18 AM 7/28/97 -0500, Rob Berendt wrote:
>Internet EDI seems to be a big push right now.  I've been doing some
>preliminary work into this.  I figure, in this case, Internet=FTP right?
>I have fired up FTP on one AS/400 and was able to get into
>ftp.microsoft.com.  Then the problem of how to automatically enter the
>FTP commands got to me.  I thought of DOS piping.  I figured that if I
>can do it in DOS then I can see if it is feasible with FTP at all.  I
>created the following file:
>
> -FTP.CMD-
>user
>password
>bin
>put file.dat mylibrary/myfile
>quit
>
>Then I ran the following at the DOS prompt:
>type ftp.cmd | ftp ftpsite
>where ftpsite is the name of my AS/400.
>I believe the user was piped successfully.  I still entered the password,
>got one bad command message, and then it ran until completion.
>
>I changed the file to:
>
> -FTP.CMD-
>user
>bin
>put file.dat mylibrary/myfile
>quit
>
>and again ran
>type ftp.cmd | ftp ftpsite
>
>I still had to enter the password, but no longer got the bad command
>message.  This having to enter the password happens at any ftp site, for
>instance ftp.microsoft.com.
>The DOS is tangential to my real problem.  The problem being, 'How do I
>automate the receiving of files to my AS/400 from the Internet?'  What
>the DOS is teaching me is that piping the password is a trick.
>Does anyone have some clues as to how to do FTP with the AS/400 in batch?

Carl J. Galgano
cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street