  • Subject: RE: packed field conversion
  • From: "Kahn, David" <KAHN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 07:39:00 +0600

Rob Ward (rward@mcind.com) wrote:

>Does anyone have a good routine to take a character field that contains
>the packed numeric data and moves it to a numeric field.

As I understand the problem, you have a field defined as character, you
know it contains packed decimal data, and you want to move it's contents
to a numeric field which may be either packed or zoned. You could
achieve this with the following simple technique.

1. Define a data structure as follows:

     IPACKDS      DS
     I                                    P   1  160PACKED

2. Transfer each character field to the data structure like this:

     C                     MOVE *LOVAL    PACKDS
     C                     MOVE FLD       PACKDS

The field PACKED now contains your packed data still in its packed
format so you can simply MOVE or Z-ADD it to your target numeric field.
For this to work you must be absolutely certain that FLD contains valid
packed data with the low order byte in the correct position, and
doesn't, for example, contain leading or trailing blanks, or you will
get a decimal data exception.

HTH

Dave Kahn - TCO, Tengiz, Kazakstan
=========