  • Subject: Configuring an "IntraNetware" LAN to access an AS/400 (V3R2) - Options, Recommendations...
  • From: "Fred W. Skinner" <fwsprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:21:33 -0400

We have just installed a small (5 user) IntraNetware LAN running over Ethernet
cabling. Our AS/400 in that location has an Ethernet adapter installed in it. I
got a number of questions about which way to proceed with connecting this LAN
to the AS/400 for Client Access.

1) V3R2 Client Access has either IPX/SPX or TCP/IP as connection methods. Does
anyone have a recommendation on which way to go and if there's any limitation
of Client Access functions with one method over the other?
2) My main AS/400 is connected to this smaller AS/400 via a 56K leased line
running APPN. I would like to implement AnyNet/400 (IP over SNA). Does anyone
have any experiences regarding configuring and implementing this. Our main
system has Internet access through a router at it's location and I would like
to supply at least Email access to the smaller AS/400 and it's clients if
possible.
3) Before we implemented Client Access for Win95 via TCP/IP on our main system;
we were running Client Access for Windows over SNA (twinax). Under that
application, I was able to have a Rumba terminal session on each system. Once
we get TCP/IP up and running on the smaller system, can Client Access for Win95
(over TCP/IP) allow us that capability again?
4) IntraNetware has the capability to be configured as a DHCP server. We have
no DNS server at the small system location. Would there be any advantage of
configuring the IntraNetware server to be a DHCP server?

                                      I would appreciate any input anyone can
give and will report back my success and/or failure implementing this
connection.