  • Subject: Re: Previous version libraries?
  • From: Neil Palmer <NPalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:49:08 -0400

Bob Clarke 3rd x4502 wrote:

> I am in the (never-ending) process of trying to clean up some libraries and
> files to free up some disk space.

A comment here.  Have you or your company analyzed how much time you
waste on this task, what your cost per hour is, and how much this is
costing them, as opposed to just buying more disk ?
This is a serious point.  With the price of used DASD it is usually not
cost efficient if you need to spend more than an hour a week on disk
management.  Just add more.

> In doing so I have come across some 'Q'
> libraries whose origin and/or usage is unknown to me.  I did not become
> involved with the AS/400 until around the time we upgraded to V3R1, so I
> don't know if these libraries came to be as a result of the upgrade, were
> just left behind from previous versions, or were created by a former sys
> admin.  Any assistance I can get in identifying these and/or determining
> whether they are necessary would be greatly appreciated.  In looking at them
> and a sampling of last use dates on the files within I am quite sure I can
> safely delete them, but I wanted to check with you folks first.

First, you don't (well, hardly ever) just delete IBM libraries with
DLTLIB.  You must use the DLTLICPGM option (preferably the delete option
on the LCIPGM menu as that lets you select the products/options to be
deleted).

> Library        description (if any)          # objects      type of objects
>  ----------         ---------------------------        -------------       -
>  ---------------------
>
> QSYSV2R3M0                    1,752          mostly *CMDs, some PFs.
>
> QSYSV3R0M5                    1,379          mostly *CMDs, some PFs.

These 2 are because you have loaded the optional OS/400 code to support
previous releases.  These contain old versions of objects (usually
commands, some internal files, etc.) that IBM altered for your new
release, along with support to save objects in a format readable by
previous releases (as the save/restore format usually changes a bit with
each new release.  They are used when you specify TGTRLS(*PRV) or
TGTRLS(VxRxMx) on commands like CRTCLPGM, SAVLIB, SAVOBJ.

Do you also have previous release support installed for the RPG &/or
COBOL compilers ?

> QSYS2          System Lib for CPI's          85        mostly *PGMs, some
 LFs.

I believe these are system API's.  For the amount of space they take
(less than 1.7MB) leave them alone and don't worry about the space.

> QSYS38                           597         mostly *CMDs, some *PGMs.

You have the optional S/38 environment loaded.
If any of your source programs are typed with a '38' suffix (ie. CMD38,
CLP38) you need this library to be able to run the S/38 version of
CRTCLPGM, CRTDSPF, CRTPRTF and many other commands.
It also contains all the old S/38 syntax of commands that were changed
for the AS/400 (one example being in QSYS38 the default on SBMJOB for
INLLIBL is *JOBD, whereas the native AS/400 SBMJOB default is
INLLIBL(*CURRENT).  The 400 also added the CMD parm so you don't need to
mess around with forming the command string for RQSDTA.
If you don't need the S/38 environment any more just remove it using the
option on the LICPGM menu.  If you find you do need it after all you can
reinstall it from the LICPGM (RSTLICPGM) menu.  If you restore from the
V3R release tapes you would also need to reinstall your latest PTF
package.  Preferably you will have a SAVSYS tape with SAVLIB(*IBM)
created after your last cum tape install you could restore from.

--
... Neil Palmer                                      AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology -Canada       ____________          ___  ~