  • Subject: Re: Additional RPGLE Enhancement Requests
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 13 Jul 97 22:38:05 EDT

RE:     Re: Additional RPGLE Enhancement Requests

Charlie wrote

>5.  Permit INDIVIDUAL fields to be externally defined without having
>    to define an externally defined data stucture.
>
>    D   Temp2   S      like(field2:filename1:optrecfmt1)
>    D           DS
>    D   Temp4          like(field4:filename2:optrecfmt4)
>    D   Temp3          like(field3:filename1:optrecfmt1)
>
>    where filename1 and filename2 are not used at all in the program.

I would like to see a H-Spec keyword with the same ability of the
DDS File level keyword 'REF'.  This would allow me to code standalone
fields (really they are "Instances" of my data base entities)  and refer
them to my FIELDREF file.   If I use the LIKE keyword and just put in the
field name,  The compiler should check the REF(FIELDREF) keyword in the
H-SPEC.  This way I don't have to HARD-WIRE each instance to anyone
data base file name.

After all, shouldn't our DATA DICTIONARY be a DATA DICTIONARY everywhere?

As a add on to that one,  If I use LIKE, let me change the attributes of
my field.  If I do a REFFLD I can "Override" attributes and make a
Packed field Signed, Change the Decimal positions, etc.
Do it right and use the LIKE field as the "Base defaults" and let me
Override particular attributes(Size, decimal, type(P,S,B,A,etc.).

>6.  Permit the name of an externally defined file to optionally show
>    up in DSPPFMREF output.
>
>     D dsname   E DS    EXTNAME(filename)  LOG(*YES)
>
>     Or just make it always show up.  It is understood this may be
>     non-trivial and may require Rochester cooperation.

You know Rochester owns this one.  Which means "We'll never see it"
End of story. (I've been asking for this one since the mid-80's
on the SYS/38!)

>>13.  We have ITER and LEAVE to exit a do loop.  How do we exit a
>>     subroutine without doing a GOTO.  What above an operation code
>>     to GOTO *ENDSR just like ITER does a GOTO ENDO and LEAVE does
>>     a GOTO ENDO+1.  I have no idea what to call the op code.  I
>>     just know we desparately need it.  (This should be trivial -
>>     please fix it.)

How about using FACTOR 2 of the LEAVE statement?  Blank Factor 2 would
work as it does now.  Using Factor 2 of *Routine Would leave the
"Routine".   In the case of a subroutine, it would branch to the ENDSR.
No new opcode's and a benign change to an existing one.
No impact on existing code.

John Carr  CDP
EdgeTech