  • Subject: Re: reading a big file
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

Booth,

> Dean,  interestingly enough the reason I was asked to be  involved in
>  this project is because the "data mining" solution has not turned out
>  quite as spectacularly as the salesman's demo.  In fact it appears
>  that an ordinary AS/400 query blows away the data mining's
>  performance  and  accuracy.  I can not give you chapter and verse on
>  this, but the behind the scenes snippets of conversations makes me
>  feel the final chapter of this story will be interesting.

Hmmm.  Sounds like you may have an ODBC problem rather than one involving
record access performance.  If your vendor's solution uses an ODBC connect
rather than one using APPC, performance would indeed be slow (and possibly
inaccurate, depending upon the stability of your network connection).

We wrote what is basically a data mining application using VB for our
Planning Department.  It ran like a dog, so we moved the database off of
SQLServer on the network to the AS/400.  We then used ESS/400 rather than
ODBC, but it was still too slow (the application has to parse 60K records
about 4 different ways prior to displaying a data grid to the user).  We
ended up re-engineering the application from client/server to server/client
-- with callable RPG modules on the /400 performing all of the SQL and/or
work file builds.  Since moving to the 530, the application now outperforms
many of our green screens!

This doesn't help YOU any, but perhaps it will save someone else the 20+ man
weeks we spent trying to make this thing perform at an acceptable level...

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity." -- Oprah Winfrey