  • Subject: Re: AS/400 vs PC as a server
  • From: Bob Angell <aimsllc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:04:31 -0600

First of all, Jesse, nice thought provoking post.  At first blush, most
of what you published was pretty accurate from a Midrange to PC view
point; it was very interesting.  However, having surfaced from the
bowels of Unix during the mid to late 80's, used and stressed PCs since
1982, and moved just recently into the midrange arena, I see things
just a bit differently IMHO.  Someone wanted discussion <g> ....

jgm@nak.com wrote:
> The 1987 machine was little more than a toy for the novice.  It could
> be used to print graphics, handle small spreadsheets, and even manage
> small databases, but it was too limited to be a major player.

I would have to strongly disagree with this assessment.  In 1985-87, I
was
using these "PCs" to perform very extensive/exhaustive computer
simulation
modeling and solving fairly complex engineering problems.  I certainly
would not categorize it as a toy.

> I think we have met the enemy, and he is us... midrange computers will
> survive essentially by becoming PCs.  If we can integrate the S/36 and

No, no, no!  The reason midrange systems ARE successful is because of
their reliability and overall stability.  How many times have you had to
IPL your AS/400 because someone's "Netscape" application locked up the
system?  I reboot the NT Server I use daily at least once if not twice
during light to medium use during the day.  I could never run an enter-
prise with that kind of reliability/stability.  The reason midrange
boxes will continue to be popular is that they offer the customer some-
thing more than odd-ball hardware, flaky peripheral drivers and "toy"
operating systems that are "pretty" at best.  OS/2 is probably the
best PC operating system, but it even cannot be as reliable as an
AS/400.

> the S/38 on one box, we can visualize a box that also runs OS/2 and
> Windows.  I say, start with the good O/S fundamentals of the midrange

FWIW, it has been doing that for some time, March 1992, I believe.

> ISAM, database, SQL, etc.), keep level-headed hardware (easy backups and
> maintenance), and add PC compatibility... and an ideal machine would be

When you add PC compatibility, you MUST be careful not to introduce its
weakness into a solid environment.  The IPCS has been a good approach,
but
might I ask, how many times do you "reset" your IPCS due to "flaky"
behavior?  I know a few shops that do this more frequently than they
care
to admit.

> the result.  Imagine a PC that doesn't crash... or an AS/400 that can be
> expanded cheaply... that would be greatness in a black box.

AMEN!!!  Case in point ... I wanted to upgrade an RS/6000 the other day
and put 64MB of RAM on it and IBM said it would be almost $3000 to do
this!!!!  Anyone seen the price of "PC" RAM these days .... $250 for the
same?? memory!

> Midrange computers would have bitten the dust 10 years ago if it weren't
> for their inherent server capability (dividing the processor's attention
> 40 ways, effortlessly, to perform user requests... that's what a server
> is).  Likewise, midrange computers will bite the dust in 10 years if
> they stagnate, don't increase price/performance, or ignore the PC world
> and some important changes in communications that are occurring right
> now.

This might be a valid point.

> In closing, an operating system or a PC chip is not who we are or what
> we are as data processing professionals.  We are out in the business
> world, and we are kicking ass because we know fundamentally what makes
> an MIS shop tick.  Look around you... nobody buys a "RISC" T-shirt.

Most of *those* t-shirts were provided compliments of IBM, Sun, M$, etc.
<VBG>  My Wife says at some point I really ought to go out and purchase
a token "T" or golf shirt just to confuse people.  I wish, however, that
IBM would start giving away Dockers in my size so I could have a matched
set. <VGB>

> If and when the PC/midrange shakeout occurs, we will continue to kick
> ass, no matter what platform dominates, because we will make the system
> work for the customer.  That is who we are and what we are.

I this is the key to the success of any good MIS department.  Use the
box
and solution that balances cost/performance and understand the caveats.

-Bob-
--
   Bob Angell, Principal - Sys. Engineer/Author/Consultant
   Applied Info & Mgnt Sys, 1238 Fenway Ave., SLC, UT 84102

   "Had Mama Cass and Karen Carpenter shared that Ham sand-
   wich, they would both be with us today!"