> >Steps to follow to secure a PC:
> >
> >1. There are quite a few shareware programs that password-secure a
> >Win95 PC; get one & use it. THIS STEP IS CRITICAL, since the other
> >steps only add to the security provided here.
> >
> >2. Assign a screen saver, then assign a password to it. Put a short
> >(1 minute?) time into it.
> >
> >3. Put it in the StartUp folder so it executes when Windoze starts
> >up (you'll have to add /S to the end of the line, like this:
> >SSMARQUE.SCR /S)
> >
> >4. In your CMOS setup, disable bootup from drive A:
> >(so a hacker can't get into the PC w/ a bootable floppy).
> >
> >5. Also in the CMOS, assign a password to the PC. Sometimes there
> >are 2 passwords: one to change the CMOS settings, one to access the
> >PC. If your PC has both, then use both.
>
> Will the IS department have access to the PC if needed when that
> person isn't around? What happens when the user leaves? I know how
> to disable/bypass the CMOS password, and Window screensaver
> passwords aren't difficult to dispose of. I would hate to use such
> measures routinely, because of the inconvenience.
>
> My problem with this is support. Either the user must tell me the
> password, or she must stay around while I work on the PC and type
> the password as needed.

My understanding of the original question is that this was for a
one-time implementation; I never meant this to be a practical
solution that should be applied to numerous PCs.

And I agree that it would be a pain to support. But that wasn't the
issue. "How do I do this" was the issue, which I addressed.

As for getting around the CMOS password, sure you can. But not
without opening up the system to get at the motherboard (at least,
not any way that I know of.) But with just a little bit of physical
security, this isn't practical for a hacker to do.

As for the Windows password, it's not intended to be the stop-all
solution to this problem. But once the system is running, it DOES
require a hacker to reboot the system to gain access to it (as far as
I know, it does.)

All I meant to say was that it could be done. I should have added to
my original post that it would be a PITB to support, and not very
practical to implement on more than 1? a few? systems.

Tom