At 11:55 AM 6/12/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>     I just wanted to share my ideas with all the people in the list.
>Recently I have attended one of our company's business meetings. Someone
>from the front rows asked the speaker abt the future of all the systems,
>resources, people after Year2000. For that the speaker (who is one of the
>top execs in our company) said that the Year2000 market will be there even
>after Year2000. It will be there for 5 to 6 years after that. I am
>wondering as to what the people will do with Y2K projects once, the
>inevitable crash has already occured. As someone rightly pointed out in
>earlier discussions, if you are not going to start by September this year,
>you are dead in the business and the systems are going to crash at the
>stroke of 12:00 midnight Dec 31st, 1999. I thought of asking the speaker as
>to what will be the Y2K work even after the crash (year200) but thought
>that was not a good platform to raise the question. As the discussion on
>Y2K is picking up momentum, I too wanted to share my ideas and insights.
>Can anybody tell me how far the speaker's statement is true. I am not
>judging anybody nor trying to grade someone. I just want to know the real
>future of all these year2000 work after the crash. Thanx in advance for any
>suggestions.

My opinion is the following:

1.      There will be chaos on Monday January 3, 2000.  Most applications that
do date arithmetic with 6.0S dates will currently do addition properly, or
can be modified without much effort.  Applications that do date subtraction
(A/R aging, interest calculations) will be tough to fix.

2.      Some companies will not furvive, or will be all screwed up for an
extended period of time.

3.      From an AS/400 perspective, the implementation of date data types is too
little, too late.  Most people will not go to date data types for Y2K,
although if IBM fixes the problems, they may be ultimately implemented.

4.      After surviving Jan 2000, with business running normally, many will go
back to 6.0S dates, and not care anymore.

5.      There will be a glut of programmers available by the time everything is
fixed.  The less qualified will be out of work, and there will be downward
pressure on the salary market.

Just my opinion.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L