  • Subject: Re: Can a tool help this situation?
  • From: Glenn Gundermann <ggundermann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:29:35 GMT

Can't help you with the part on how everything fits together.

As for analyzing any changes and applying them, I can share my experience
over 8 years ago.  We had a package product (manufacturing package called
DATA3) that three of us programmers were modifying as fast as we could with
custom changes.  Then, management decided that we load on a newer release.
We had to figure out if our mods were fixes/enhancements that the new
release had or not.  Then, do replace our custom program with the newer
program, reapply our mods onto the newer program or take their mods and
apply them onto our custom programs.

We used two products from Aldon; One was called Harmonizer and other other ?
(sorry I forget).  One product would analyze the differences between two
programs which we ran twice; once between the original and our mods and
another between the original and their mods.  The other product would do the
applying once you decided which way you wanted to go.

We froze all work and it took the three of us several months (I think 4).

At 08:26 PM 6/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>To whoever can provide an answer,
>
>Are there any tools which can help with the following situation:
>
>We have a group of programs (about 1800) which were
>originally written by a vendor, modified by one of our other
>divisions for their own use, and then passed on to us.  These
>are mostly RPG/400 and CL programs.  Our chore, is to
>modify them to fit our way of doing business.  We have
>all the source but we don't know how everything interacts.
>
>So, specifically, are there tools which can help us map out
>how everything is related and possibly somehow indicate
>the business logic (I may be dreaming here)? Then, can
>the same tool (or any other tool) help us make the required
>changes faster than using SEU?
>
>We do have Pentium PCs attached using CA/400 and
>Rhumba.
>
>Thanks in advance for responding.  If you like, you can
>e-mail me directly at mzylka@netpath.net.
>
>Thanks, Marc Zylka

Glenn Gundermann
ggundermann@ibm.net