  • Subject: Re: Year 2000 Crash
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:00:11 -0700

Neil Palmer wrote:

<snip>
> I believe 11/22/28 was the default date stored in the internal hardware
> clock on the 400.  Of course, with recent support for Year 2000 added
> you ended up with the wonderful side benefit of it being interpreted as
> 2028 instead of 1928.
> As for why 11/22/28 - something to do with how the date is stored
> internally - I forget the details.
>
> I know the V2R3 PTF was SF15305.
> I believe in V3R0M5 & V3R1M0 there were instances where the date would
> default to 95/01/01, and there were PTF's issued for this, for V3R0M5
> the current PTF is MF09401 and for V3R1M0 it is MF09265.
> Original PTF was MF08828 for V3R0M5 and MF08829 for V3R1M0 and you will
> probably need to see the cover letter for those for details instead of
> the above superseding PTFs.
>
> Haven't seen any PTF's for later releases.  Maybe the problem has been
> fixed in the base code for V3R2 + ?
> Although I suspect it is still a problem with the RISC models.
> APAR MA15728 shows they know there's a problem, but there appears to be
> no solution at the moment.
>
> Jim - do you know what release this customer was running ?

They are at 3.1, but someone else brought to our attention that Best
does provide a warranty to replace cards that would be damaged.  It's
been so long since something like this has occured that I forgot all
about it.

We set the UPS up as recommended and monitor for messages to indicate
battery being used, give it 60 seconds to come back with power restored,
if not we start shutting down subsystems.  All in all it'a a very
reliable product that I would not ever hesitate to recommend.

I've instructed the user to order the latest CUM tape and apply it.  I
just found it kind of peculiar that it would pick the anniversary of
Dallas Day.  Must have been some engineers idea of an inside joke. :)

Thanks to all for the input.

I'm sure I'll be back with questions since they are installing CA/400 so
the owner can dial in from the road using his notebook w/ win95 and
Personal Communications to an ASCII controller.  I'll check for any
RedBooks first.

BTW, these type of configuration info would be a great help if Mr Gibbs
had them at his site for all to download.  Probably the 12 most common
connection methods could be covered then we could all add the more
obscure.  Not only for after the fact, but for purchasing decissions.