  • Subject: CAWIN 95 Network Drive Mappings Problem
  • From: John Muirhead <jmuirh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 22:19:34 +0100

Hi all,

I have a problem w/ Client Access for Windows 95 and was wondering if
anyone
had encountered, or possibly discovered a fix for it.

First, a little background info:  Our AS/400 is a "Black Box" running
V3R2M0
(recently upgraded) and the latest CUM tape has been applied (also
recently).
Our network is Token Ring and were using SDLC protocol .  Across the
same network, were also using IPX protocol (Netware 3.12/4.11 servers)
and
NetBEUI for Windows 95 networking, peer-to-peer.

The PC workstations have been upgraded to V3R1M1 and service pack
SF36801 (By
the managing AS/400 system) and then upgraded further by applying a
recently downloaded service pack SF39584. We originally decided not to
install
the aforementioned service pack, but changed our minds upon reading the
related APARs that said certain PTFs where recommended, but not required
use this service pack.

CAWIN 95 seems to run O.K. for terminal emulation and mapped printers
(virtual
print), but fails miserably when attempting to map permanent drives
(shared
folders). PC workstations w/ mapped drives will unexpectedly reboot at
startup
when attempting to map these drives. If the mappings are removed, all is
well.

I've heard alot of rumbling about CAWIN95's continued instability in
certain
areas and the number of service packs available via IBM's web site may
be
proof of that.  I've also heard that some (particularly those on twinax)
have no problems whatsoever.

I've watched this mailing list for the last 6 months and noticed alot of
discussion about CAWIN95, so you've probably "been there, done that",
but
if possible, could we start this discussion again...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John Muirhead -- Tree Top, Inc.
jmuirh@treetop.com