Hi Charlie :

     You wrote that pgm SRX191 is putting 5 char packed dec in the field.
But when I checked the pgm SRX191, it is not doing anything with PRINPT
field. Also I couldnot able to understand the hex data you have translated.
You wrote positions 339 to 349 in the outfile has 333333333333 .......

040197 Value as printed
FFFFFF06500 Value in hex
04019782F00

The X'08625F' in positions 345-347 is the packed representation of number
8625. The X'0000' in positions 348-349 is binary zero.

I couldnot understand your logic and how you are converting. Also in the
journal outfile, I couldnot read any thng after 040197. I am fiinding some
junk characters. In the DSPFFD if you check, the PRINPT field starting
position is 323. It is of length 9,2 and occupies a buffer length of 5. But
in your reply you were mentioning some other positions which I am not able
to track down or understand. You also wrote that the pgm is trying to write
5 digit packed into first 3 bytes of 5 bytes which shld originally contain
9 digit packed value. I didnot understand even this also.

Basically my plan was as follows :

Read the journal entries sequentially. When we encounter a difference of
value at 323 position of the record, break (using some control level
indicators or some other logic...). Try to find which job/pgm is trying to
modify the field. If the modified value is zero, that job/pgm could be the
one we are looking for. Ideally this is what my plan is. I have the journal
file in some unreadable format and I have DSPFFD output. Could you please
help me out in acheiving my task? Right now I am not getting any ideas and
I am at stand still on this point. Do I have to have a small utility or a
pgm that can read the journal file and report me the possible wiping of the
field? If so, could you please help me in the designing and what I have to
do in the pgm...etc.

Thanx in advance for the help. OK Thats all for now. Good day.

Regards,
Venu