  • Subject: Re: CHAIN vs. SETLL (was Re: DOW vs DOU)
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 17:37:40 -0400

Mark:

Mark Lazarus wrote:

> Dave,
>
> >I think the bug still exists on S/36 compatible RPG.  It caused me
> >headaches to figure this out. It was not pretty when users complained
> >that few checks for the client never showed up on the screen.   I even
> >complained to IBM.  Of course, "it was working as designed" was the
> >classic response.  The best way for non-unique key files is still READE
> >instead of CHAIN.  My personal preferance is a SETLL followed by a READ
> >in a DOW (let us not start that again).
>
>  What is the bug?  Since the the RPG II doesn't support KLISTs, a full key
> is necessary in order to make the READE work.
>
>  -mark

The trick is to use the EXTK in key starting position to get partial key
support!.  EXTK became necessary in S/36 RPG when the alternate index
was invented and you could have upto 3 non-contiguous keys as alternate
index (aka LF for the AS/400 bunch).  So, if you have multiple key
files, you can use the EXTK to access the data by partial or full keys.
The bug I was mentioning was when you use the partial key, sometime the
starting key will be different at different times due to the file
pointer being at a different position on a previous read.  Hope this
helps.

--

Thank You.

Regards