  • Subject: Re: Y2K, Silver bullets, all that jazz...
  • From: ConnectY2K@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

I am pressed to  think manual is better faster and cheaper
Do tell us more

<<

   From: Tim Lennon on 05/06/97 12:37

   We started our year 2000 conversions nearly a year ago now, and
   we're scheduled to finish the final stage at the end of October.
   Since this is also the most difficult one - accounts files, etc. - I
   can honestly say that there's a big element of fear at the moment.

   We had a look at a couple of silver bullet tools, and the consensus
   at the time was that for the price they were charging, the tools
   told us nothing we didn't know, and nothing we couldn't do more
   cost-efficiently in-house. I certainly think that there is a use for
   tools to help with projects like this, but given the massive
   diversity even within this list, it is difficult to believe that any
   generic tool would adequately fulfil its claims for the majority of
   sites.

   Laugh if you like, but we've finally discovered what a wonderful
   idea change control is: I think it is safe to say that I and my
   colleagues had more problems through inadequate CC procedures, than
   through coding/testing problems.

   Don't get me wrong, mind you. The idea of something that does the
   whole thing for you is really quite attractive, but it's not exactly
   new, is it? Ever heard the saying: "If it sounds too good to be
   true, then ..."

   Just my two pennies' worth!

   Tim Lennon
   A/P Thomas Miller &Co., London.