  • Subject: Re: SETDSKCLN
  • From: Neil Palmer <NPalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:48:52 -0400

Dave Mahadevan wrote:

> Folks:
>
> What does this command SETDSKCLN do?  It has option *CHECK, *YES, *NO.
> There is no help and no mention of it in the Softcopy.  IBM has a
> defective ptf MF14775 on it for V3R2!

>From the cover letter for PTF MF14775:
(NOTE: DON'T order MF14775 - it's PE (bad) - see end of note for current
PTF's to order by release.  You may need to order *CVRLTR only for
MF14775 to get these full instructions IF they don't appear at the
bottom in the 'Special instructions for superseded PTF' section for the
cover letters of PTF's mentioned at the end of this note).

Item MF14775

  PTF Identifier ....... MF14775      Last Changed ........ 97/05/22

  PTF 14775 IS NOW AVAILABLE -PE-AI-   -  PE: Caution

  Environment:

  Component .......... 9400DG300      Date Available ...... 97/03/03
  Release .................. 320      PTF Status ........ CLOSED  PER
  Superseded by PTF .... MF15182      Volume identifier ....... 7063

  PE APAR LIST:   MA15635

  MODULES/MACROS:   #SV2DCRT #SMASM   #SMDFRAG #SMDRHDP #SMGETFS
  #SMINIT  #SMZ4MFS #SMZFSTK #SMRCVR1 #RID128

  APPLICABLE RELEASE:     AR320

  ENVIRONMENT: 5763 DELAYED

  APARS FIXED:    MA15415 MA15466 MA15125 MA14446 MA14215 MA13719
  MA14004 MA12825 MA13587 MA13137 MA14850

  SUPERSEDES:     MF14749 MF13902 MF14272 MF13640 MF13187 MF13165
  MF12904 MF12857 MF12579 MF12202

  PRE-REQS/CO-REQS:
  COREQ   SF38711

  COMMENTS:    Who should use the procedure

     Customers that DO NOT need to use this procedure are:
     - systems that came pre-loaded with V3R1 or V3R2
     - systems that have reloaded V3R1 or V3R2

     Customers are urged to use this procedure as soon as possible
     to insure the integrity of their data.

     This procedure must be used before a system is migrated from
     V3R2 to a RISC release via the replace a release method.

     What is the procedure

     The condition is believed to be rare, however, there is no
  way
     to look at a system to determine if it has the condition.
  PTF
     SF38711 contains a command that allows the user to request
     a scan of the disk drives be done during the next normal IPL.
     This scan procedure will scan the disks looking for
     and correcting the condition if it exists.

     This procedure only needs to be run once on your system.

     The command is SETDSKCLN with options *YES / *NO / *CHECK:
     - *YES option indicates on the next normal IPL the
       scan should be performed
     - *NO option indicates the scan should not be performed
     - *CHECK option indicates whether the scan is scheduled
       to run or not.

     Duration of the procedure

     The IPL in which the scan is performed will be a long IPL.
     The following calculation will help predict the duration
     of the IPL:

     (Length of a Normal IPL * 2)
        +
     (Size of the largest drive on the system rounded to the
      closet gigabyte (G) * 1 hour to 2 hours) =
      Estimated time for the IPL

     For example:
       Suppose the normal IPL time is 1 hour and the WRKDSKSTS
     screen shows the largest drive is 968M.  Rounded up to 1G,
     and use the information in the formula above as follows:

      ( 1 hour * 2 ) + ( 1 * 1 hour) to ( 1 * 2 hours )
          2 hours + 1 hour to 2 hours =
                   3 hours to 4 hours

     The IPL time is estimated to be 3 to 4 hours.  Results may
     vary.

     Note:
       1000 M = 1 G
       2000 M = 2 G
       4000 M = 4 G

     After the procedure

     The system value QABNORMSW will be set to 1 following the
     successful completion of this IPL.

     The following VLIC log indicates that the scan ran to
     completion.

     Major code 1000 Minor code 100C

     The following steps are included to help you look for the
  VLIC
     log.
     At a command line:
     - STRSST <enter>

     - Select option 1 (Start a service tool) <enter>
     - Select option 5 (Vertical Licensed Internal Code log)
  <enter>
     - Select option 1 (Select entries from the Vertical Licensed
                        Internal Code (VLIC) log) <enter>
     - Fill in the Major code field with 1000
     - Fill in the Minor code field with 100C <enter>

     If the VLIC log appears on the next screen you can use F3 to
     exit several times back to the command line.

     If the message 'Entry not found.'  appears at the bottom of
  the
     screen, then use the SETDSKCLN command with option *ON and
     perform a normal power down ie.  PWRDWNSYS RESTART(*YES).

  APPLICABLE LEVEL:   320

APPLICABLE LEVEL: 320

Current PTF's to order for SETDSKCLN:

V2R3M0  MF15282 & SF38708
V3R0M5  MF15285 & SF38710
V3R1M0  MF15284 & SF38709
V3R2M0  MF15283 & SF38711

--
... Neil Palmer                                      AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology - Canada      ____________          ___  ~