  • Subject: Re: Named indicators (was DOW vs DOU)
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 02 Jun 97 22:09:48 EDT

RE:     Re: Named indicators (was DOW vs DOU)
>John and Charlie,

> John Carr wrote:
>>Ladys and Gentlemen,  How many shops have you been in where when a new
>>SNIP >

>In those rare instances when I actually see a written set of standards
>shop I feel like a "Stranger in a Stange Land". (charlie M.)
>SNIP>

>>BTW Who's program is it?

>Unless you're doing it for free, the code is the client's -- even if it was
>just a handy utility that you wrote to speed your productivity that the
              <snip>

 Dean,  These were rhetorical questions

>>Who will maintain it when you leave?

>Who, indeed?

Good Point

>The problem with taking over my code?  Most of the staff knows only the
>AS/Set CASE tool (in which most of our applications are written).  Very few
>out of the large development staff know CL, native RPG, or DDS -- let alone
>imbedded SQL.  In this instance it's not the client's fault, they were sold
>AS/Set (and a bill of goods) on the premise that you didn't need to know
>native code in order to use AS/Set.  The reality is quite different

Thats the beauty of having a "perfect solution" to the Program backlog
problem.   Ah yes the "Silver Bullet" cure.  From experience
 I would add to your list,  Relational Data Base Design,  Structured
Programming Concepts, and OS/400 Work Management.   So many times I have
seen shops buy a great tool(CASE type generally) saying " Ya know, with
this tool we can get rid of our backlog,  Without having to learn all
that DB & Structured Design stuff". All we have to know is the "Tool".
In a lot of cases (sorry for the pun) this is how we got the phrase
"Shelf Ware"

>>IOW, Who Owns The Code?

>The client, the client, the client. (Dean Asmussen)

The question I should have asked was "Who gets stuck with the maintenance
bill?"

John P. Carr  CDP
EdgeTech
5921 Acorn Ridge CT.  Midlothian  VA. 23112
74711.77@compuserve.com
804-739-7689