=====================

<< From: DAsmussen@aol.com
 Sender: mcsnet!midrange.com!midrange-l-owner@Mcs.Net
owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
 To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

 Mark,

 >  I would like to know how people here are handling the Y2K problem.
 >
 >   Some options:
 >
 >  1) Throw out what you have and start over w/ a new package.

 Sort of, but not quite.  At my primary client, we're evaluating the impact
of
 installing SSA's new (Y2K compliant) version of BPCS.  This includes
 evaluation of which date routines in custom and modified programs will need
 to be changed.

 >  2) Throw out what you have and start over w/ a new homegrown system.

 Most that I have heard from are trying to figure out how to "fix" their
 current "homegrown" systems.

 >  3) Use a Y2K analyzer and make the mods inhouse.
 >
 >  4) Use a Y2K analyzer and outsource the mods.

 I've seen a lot of interest in both 3 and 4.  The problem is, most of the
 analyzers are trying to make SO much money off of this that it is more
 cost-effective to do a manual conversion for the majority of AS/400
 customers.  You can't blame the vendors, opportunities like this come around
 only once every hundred years or so :-)!  The Y2K vendors will make their
 money off of big corporate accounts, but there really isn't anything out
 there for the "little guy" that I've seen.

 >  5) Retire December 31, 1999.

 Been planning this for almost eighteen years.  Unfortunately, I "backed the
 wrong horse" a few times and am now forced to live through it.

 >  6) "Problem?  We don't have no stinkin' problem!!!"

 Seen this with scary frequency as well.  I've written to my infrequent
 customers urging them to find someone to handle this.  A frightening
majority
 refuse to recognize the problem, despite the heavy press Y2K has gotten
 lately in the "mainstream" media.  Despite the fact that ESC is already
 booked through 1999, they all seem to think that I'm trying to get a booking
 -- there's a lot of "head in the sand" mentality out there.

 >  7) Other (please elaborate).
 >
 >   If 3 or 4, which analyzer are you (or will be) using?  Are you happy w/
 >  what it provides, i.e. how thorough is it, does it make suggested code /
 DB
 >  changes?  Does it handle RPG IV? Any other languages?  How is the vendor
 >  support?  How much is the package?  Overall, how good a value is it?
 >
 >   How are you handling other systems - PCs, S/36, DECs, HP, other?  If you
 >  are making changes to a existing systems, are you using a change
 management
 >  package?  If yes, which one(s)?

 A LOT of people ignore the PC's altogether.  S/36 presents its own problems,
 although many are upgrading to the A/36.

 >   Misc:  Are you making enhancements at the same time?  Are you
 consolidating
 >  diverse systems?

 We're freezing all changes to systems that aren't already Y2K compliant at
 the end of this year.  That basically means that any division/department
that
 doesn't already have something in place will be SOL for changes within the
 following 12-18 months.
 <<snip>>

 HTH,

 Dean Asmusse >>