  • Subject: Re: binding directories and procedure prototypes
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:56:37 -0400

Nelson Smith wrote:

> What sort of standards are you establishing.  Do you put all modules in
> a binding directory for an entire application and use it on all CRTPGM's
> or do you create a separate one for each program?  If you include
> service programs in your binding directory, do you also include the
> modules that are in the service programs?

The problem in putting all modules in one binding directory is 1. CRTPGM
is very slow.  2.  All modules are locked.
Ditto for Service Programs.  Instead I wrote a small program using the
QBNLPGMI API to interrogate the current program and find the modules,
service programs and use QMHSNDPM to send a *RQS message to do the
create program filling in the modules and service programs obtained from
the user space filled by QBNLPGMI.  Of course, if the program is new,
there will be no modules or service programs listed on the CRTPGM and
you need to supply it.  I call it ILEPGM and I will use the program name
for PEP.

> Do you put your procedure prototypes in a copy member and include that
> in your programs?  Do you put all prototypes in one copy member or
> separate ones?  Is there additional overhead for prototypes for
> procedures that aren't actually used in a program or are they like
> unreferenced fields?

Copyfile for prototype is great.  I cant see any additional overhead
other than the fact all the lines from the copyfile appear when you do
the debug.  I donot name the fields on the copy file.  I use Value or
Opdesc.

--
Thank You.

Regards