  • Subject: Re: Service Programs
  • From: John Dorn <jdorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:40:57 -0400

Rob Persing wrote:

> Good afternoon everybody,
>
> I have two questions that would be helpful if someone can answer them:
>
> 1.  Can you add a new ILE module to an existing service program without
> re-creating the service program.

I have always run into problems when trying to use the UPDSRVPGM
(never could get it to work they way I would like it to) and have
never taken the time to figure out exactly what the "rules" are.
We were hoping to use it to PTF code (ship only the changed module(s)
instead of the whole service program) but we could not get it to work
correctly.  Hopefully someone else can explain UPDSRVPGM.

> 2.  When I make a change to a module in a service program I update the
> service program so the changes in the module are recognized.  However, I
> have to update all the Programs/Service Programs that use the UPDATED
> service program, even if the change to the module does not affect some of
> the Programs/Service Programs.  Is there a way to only update the
> Programs/Service Programs that are affected by the module change.  If so,
> how do you do it and is this a good practice?

Are you using binder source?  We use binder source to set the service
program's signature and also to list the exported functions.  For
example,

STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*CURRENT) LVLCHK(*YES) SIGNATURE('srvpgm name')
   EXPORT SYMBOL("Func1")
   EXPORT SYMBOL("Func2")
ENDPGMEXP

New functions to be exported by the service program are always added
to the end of the export list.  Using this method, other PGMs and
SRVPGMs only need to be re-bound to the changed service program if
the order of the exported functions change (adding additional functions
is no problem).  If you are not using binder source (i.e.,
EXPORT(*SRCFILE)) when building your service program then I would
assume you must re-bind all dependent PGMs and SRVPGMs if you change
your service program.

Hope this helps,

John Dorn
I/NET, Inc.