  • Subject: NEWSWire/400 05.07.97
  • From: ConnectY2K@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 14:44:52 -0400 (EDT)

I have NEVER seen a 100% Guarantee like this to
"identify 100% of the places you need to look at"
and endorsed by IBM staff too.

Are you sure?
It does not say that either Web Site.
Delivery  apeared to be  different  -  later in 97

This guarantee could imply many false positives in order to achieve such
notification levels.  That is not good either!

************************* NEWSWire/400 *************************
Issue 34                                             May 7, 1997

THIS WEEK:
 IBM Introduces Bypass2000, Shipping this Month

IBM INTRODUCES BYPASS2000, SHIPPING THIS MONTH
IBM's new Year 2000 conversion tool is not sexy -- not even
pretty by a long shot -- but it will get the job done,  IBM says.
The new tool is Bypass2000, a green- screen application running
on the AS/400. It was designed and developed by Hal Informatica,
a small software firm in Milan, Italy. Up until last October, IBM
hadn't planned to offer or support an AS/400 tool of its own. IBM
expected to fill more of a facilitator's role by hooking up
customers with third-party Y2K vendors and assisting with
education. "But we got so many requests for an IBM tool that we
began a mad search last fall," explains Susan Gantner, AS/400
application development segment manager. "We found that
Bypass2000's propagation was thorough, complete, and deep, and
that's why we chose it."

Like most other tools on the market, Bypass2000 can find and
change about 90 percent of your dates automatically, with 10
percent likely to require manual changes depending on the coding
techniques a shop uses. But according to IBM, Bypass2000 won't
let any affected dates slip by without notification first. "Hal
tells us it will guarantee to identify 100 percent of the places
you need to look at," Paris says. "To my knowledge, it is at the
moment the only tool that will even begin to claim that." The
tool runs on any AS/400 with V3R1 or later of OS/400 and
currently migrates applications written in RPG, with Cobol
support scheduled for  Version 1.2 release on September 26.
Version 1.1 will ship from IBM  May 23. Gantner says Bypass2000
is based on an underlying "application understanding" technology
that is different from most Y2K tools in that it wasn't
originally designed to look for dates -- it was first designed to
trace relationships between fields within a program to help
translate the program to another language. It wasn't until 1995
that Hal realized the technology's potential as a Y2K conversion
tool.

The Bypass2000 conversion process consists of three major batch
processes: analysis, propagation, and conversion. Basically, the
tool builds a storage map of all data used or defined in a
program and then tracks its movement from one program to another.
The user then identifies all date fields in database files, and
Bypass tracks those date movements. (If you don't identify some
date fields, it may not track that field's movement, which is a
potential drawback, some industry analysts say. IBM and Hal, on
the other hand, say the fact that Bypass2000 only requires
knowledge of database fields reduces the overall identification
process.) "Bypass2000 has the ability to track a date moving from
one program to another even though you haven't actually
identified any files or dates in the second program," explains
Jon Paris, AS/400 application development segment manager. "Its
job then, is to go through and find every impacted field in every
program, every time." In the last step of the process, Bypass2000
converts DDS source code as well as program source code to handle
the new expanded dates. Converted program source can also include
calls to utility programs, or subroutines, that perform a "date
windowing" function that lets two-digit years remain on screens
and reports.

One drawback is that the tool does not support RPG IV, but IBM
and Hal plan to provide support in a future release; they haven't
yet specified a delivery date. Rochester also plans to offer
attractive financing and purchase options on various AS/400
models used for Y2K conversions -- we'll keep you posted as more
information becomes available.