  • Subject: Re: V2R3 to V3R2 upgrade sticker shock
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:57:07 -0400

Carl Galgano wrote:

> I just got off the phone with my friendly hardware/software vendor.  I was
> inquiring on a price to upgrade my E04 from V2R3 to V3R2.  After I got up
> off the floor I verified that I did hear hime correctly that the price would
> be over $9000 for 5 users!!!!

The following is from IBM announcement letter from their site
http://direct.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/us/as400/search?searchtext=5763-SS1&searchby=prodno

OS/400 Integrated Database

OS/400's integrated database, dramatically enhanced

Named DB2 for OS/400, it features state-of-the-art functions like these:

     Referential integrity that eliminates the need to code integrity
constraints into each application.
     SQL Enhancements to provide consistent access across multiple
platforms.
     Stored procedures that allow you to improve performance by
distributing workload between client and server.
     Automatic triggering of execute actions (e.g. faxing a
notification) before and/or after a given database modification.
     Two-phase commit transaction management that synchronizes
transactions that access multiple databases simultaneously.

Many standard features and functions

     Infoseeker designed to provide access to online manuals from any
workstation attached to the AS/400 so you spend less time looking for
     information and more time putting it to good use.
     Integrated File System to protect your current AS/400 investment
while providing a faster method for working with byte stream files from
systems
     such as OS/2*, DOS, NT, POSIX and UNIX.
     Openness Standards that support source-code portability of OS/2,
DOS, NT and UNIX applications by providing standard interfaces including
     POSIX, SPEC1170, TCP/IP and BSD sockets.
     Multimedia System Facilities extend your application interfaces
into the world of multimedia by providing interaction of data with
visuals or sound
     to enhance decision-making and accuracy.

Product/Feature Description
Price
=============== ===========
==========
5763-SS1 1752   P05 Basic - additional users $400 (maximum users
5)       400.00
         1236   P10 Basic - additional users $400 (maximum users
30)      500.00
         1237   P20 Basic - additional users $400 (maximum users 75)
4000.00
         1238   P30 Basic - additional users $400 (maximum users 200)
10000.00
         1239   P40 Basic - additional users $400 (maximum users 450)
25000.00
         1763   P05 Upgrade (V1/2 to 3) - additional users
$40             40.00
         1260   P10 Upgrade (V1/2 to 3) - additional users
$40             50.00
         1261   P20 Upgrade (V1/2 to 3) - additional users
$40            400.00
         1262   P30 Upgrade (V1/2 to 3) - additional users $40
1000.00
         1263   P40 Upgrade (V1/2 to 3) - additional users $40
2500.00

To order this product by phone in the U.S. , or for further information:

     Call 1 800 IBM-CALL ext. AE060

Packaged solutions save you money.

For a single low price you can purchase one of the following packages
for a new AS/400 or upgrade your currently installed software to Version
3.

ValuPak for OS/400

     OS/400 (5716-SS1)]
     Client Access for OS/400 (5716-XA1)]
     Query for OS/400 (5716-QU1)]
     DB2/400* Query Manager
     SQL Development Kit* (5716-ST1) (+)

GrowthPak for OS/400

     All ValuPak products plus:
     OfficeVision for OS/400 (5716-WP1) (+)
     Language Dictionary (5716-DCT) (+)
     Performance Tools/400 (5716-PT1) (+)

DeveloperPak for OS/400

     Application Development Toolset/400 includes:
     Application Dictionary Services Feature
     Application Development Manager Feature
     ILE RPG/400* Application Development Toolset Client/Server
     Includes CODE/400 and VRPG Client.

Since you probably are in the P10 group, order the 1260 feature.

--
Thank You.

Regards

Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net