  • Subject: Re: System management software
  • From: Francis Lapeyre <flapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 08:53:59 -0500

DAsmussen@aol.com wrote:

> Maurice,

> > Is there someone who has experience with system management software,
> >  especially the software Turnover. We probably gonna use Turnover, is
> >  there someone who knows Turnover and can tell me their experience.
>
> I don't know that I'd call Turnover "system management" software (I reserve
> that for Robot and others).  SoftLanding's Turnover is Change Management
> software, and I am quite familiar with it.  It has its quirks, but in a
> native environment it should work GREAT!  Turnover has fantasitic
> distribution, security, and project management features built in, as well as
> help desk facilities.
>
> Our problems have stemmed from the AS/Set (CASE tool) interface portion of
> Turnover, and well, AS/Set presents problems of its own to everyone.  One
> thing you'll need to be careful of is that the latest version of Turnover
> adds 4 (and up to 5) libraries into your library list.  This causes us
> problems from time to time because BPCS adds in its own libraries, thus
> causing Turnover to fail because it can't add the appropriate library but
> tries to perform the (unlocatable) function anyhow.  SoftLanding apparently
> hasn't heard of the "product library" function on commands, or qualifying
> calls and OVRDBF's.
>
> Overall, you should be happy with Turnover.  Without the CASE interface, it
> functions well and is very intuitive.  It is extremely flexible, and will
> even allow you to use third-party compilers based upon object type code.  We
> replaced Aldon with it at my previous client site, and I found Turnover to be
> FAR more intuitive and CUA compliant, although I understand that Aldon has
> made signifcant enhancements in these areas since.
>
> If you have any specific questions, feel free to mail me directly...
>
> HTH,
>
> Dean Asmussen
> Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
> Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
> E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM
>
> "When you are arguing with an idiot, make sure that he is not doing the
> same."

Dean (and Maurice):

We don't use AS/Set, but we do know about the library list problem. To
get around that, I wrote a program of my own that saves the library
list, changes it to a "Turnover-friendly" one, calls Turnover, and when
you exit Turnover, restores the library list to what it was before. I
call the program from a menu option only, so that way I know my *LIBL is
correct.

I can't post it now, because the system is down this weekend for an
upgrade, but if you want the source, e-mail me and I'd be happy to pass
it along.

--
Francis Lapeyre                    flapeyre@communique.net
"The probability of life originating from accident is

Prof. Edwin Conklin

Opinions are my own. Otherwise, they are someone else's.