This is a topic that can go on forever.  There are several ways you can
connect a remote PC via ASYNC.  First the ASCII WSC runs about $1500 and in
its basic configuration supports 6 ASCII devices.  These can be terminal
emulators (IBM 3164, VT100) or client access or PCOM.  The connections work
really well and a single port can be configed to support multiple terminal
types.  File transfer is limited to support when doing SNA over the ASYNC
connection (ie CA/400).  Dumb terminal emulation such as 3164 is very fast
and the AWSC can support speeds up to 38400.  You can use inepensive PC
modems, we perfer US Robotics Sportsters 28800.  Be sure you get the correct
cable.  The AWSC requires a null modem cable when connecting a modem.  The
correct pin out is in the Physical Planning Manual (it is not in the ASCII
controller manual where you would expect it).  If you need it let me know &
I can dig it up.  On the client (PC) side, depending on how you config the
ASCII port you can use PSI's 3164 emulator (an excellent product), CLient
Access/400 or even Procomm or Windows Terminal program it you wish to do
something like VT100.  Beware of keyboard mapping issues.

If you are running V3R2 or V3R7 you can config on of your V.24 comm ports to
support point to point dial up TCP/IP.  The set up is very straight forward
and again you can use a USR modem.  You use a reagualr EIA cable for the
attachment.  Once you establish a connection you can use any TCP/IP client
software, that includes TELNET for terminal emulation and FTP for file xfer.
If you have a prodcut that supports TN5250, it will provide the best
terminal emulation.  In WIN95 you can use the WIN95 dialer to establish the
connection and then start the client software.  The AS400 only support the
SLIP protocol (not PPP) and you will need to install SLIP support from the
WIN95 CD.  This connection is lightning fast.

There are also other products that will allow you to use a regular V24 comm port
to access the AS400 remotely. Some are software only and some (like CLIP)
require a special modem.

This is a breif overview, hope it helps.
Carl

At 10:39 AM 4/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I would like to connect remote PC's to my 400 via a Asynchronous
>connection.  I understand that I need a Asych Workstation Controller on
>my system.  Is this different from the controller that I use to dial out
>to ECS?  Do I need additional hardware on the 400?  What does this
>entail.  I can currently dial out to ECS and our software vendor, but I
>have not been able to connect a PC modem.
>
>Gary
>umidr

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.