  • Subject: Re: HELP!! DLYJOB command -Reply
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 22:56:07 -0700

At 11:42 AM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>ANC,
>
>>>Robot is a bit  flaky  form time  to time.  Some  of their products have
>>>security problems and library lisys before QSYS . NOT  GOOD
>
>I beg to differ.  I have used Robot and Autotune since 1989 and
>Robot/Reports since 1994.  I find the applications almost bullet proof,
>secure, and most of all, functional.  Also, why is having a library above
>QSYS bad?  I have been doing that for years to implement changes to
>IBM objects instead of changing the original.

Having a library above QSYS is not bad, provided that the library is secure
against adds & changes, and provided you have a good sense of what the
programs in the library are doing.  Many people are dead set against putting
any vendor's library in their system library list because in the past many
vendors have been so cavalier about this practice.  It seems that only
recently vendors are waking up to the fact that their products must
subscribe to reasonable security standards.  (BTW, I'm hope that the days of
packages that blindly require *ALLOBJ authority simply so that they won't
encounter authority problems are numbered.)

IMHO, a vendor that proposes to put a library in the system library list should;
        1) Secure the library to *PUBLIC *USE
        2) Put the absolute minimum number of necessary objects in the library
        3) Document the reasoning behind the need for a system level library
list,
        4) Offer an alternative that technically capable shops could employ
if the                 system Library list was not desireable for a
particular shop.
        5) Stone cold guarantee that none of these programs have hidden QCMD
calls in            them.

It's important to understand that as the system administrator, I am
responsible for the system, not the vendor.  If something goes wrong with
xyz package because abc package has replaced the defaults to a command, or
efg software has exclusivley allocated some system resource, I'm the guy who
is going to clean-up the mess.  Some of our AS/400's have over a dozen
software packages on them.  I can't afford to have them making system
management decisions for me.  They don't even know what other packages are
present, let alone what they do.

jte