  • Subject: Re: FW: OS/400 upgrades for CISC
  • From: "Jeffrey M. Carey" <jeffreycarey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 16:18:00 -0500

I for one see IBM's direction as completely justifiable.  Just as you
can't run Windows NT on a 286, so too you can't run V3R7 on CISC!  The
limitations of the CISC platform just made it impossible to continue
advancing the line.  If you think of the transition from CISC to RISC
more like a new technology than an upgrade, then this is a much smoother
move than the last one - from S/38 to AS/400.  There are competing
technologies, true, but compare your costs moving to them and supporting
them and your costs just staying on the AS/400 and upgrading to RISC.
If it's cheaper for your tro migrate to Intel, and it suits your
business needs, great.  But for us, it makes more sense to follow IBM.