Not so much to prove that I could, but because just by looking at both the MI source and the documentation for the API, it seemed a simple match, but a different language from which to test; i.e. all of the parameters passed by reference along with an "array" of data to suggest that some parameters should be treated by the API as instead having been passed by value when calling the procedure, each supported sufficiently in the CL. It was easy to code the CL from the given MI, while following along with the API docs [open() and call srvpgm proc]. The source compiled and created a stream file on my first try! I was actually surprised when I did not get an error on the API call, then even more surprised when WRKLNK showed the file was there, and finally bummed when DSPAUT showed *NONE.

I had no idea that API existed, but that might explain the [or was that even also a] seven parameter limit on an integrated application server and some other callable interfaces that I vaguely recall.? I am confident the ILE RPG does not use that API to invoke procedures; both exceeding that parameter limit and a trace should easily prove that. I guess any OPM program[mer] like RPG or CLP could take advantage for a program that for whatever reason should not move to ILE; for CL, that could be for use of DDM files with ALCOBJ for example which can cause problems since activation groups are implemented as separate jobs on the target.

I did later break my program when I added both the RMVLNK [del command] and DSPAUT to the CLP so as to avoid them every time I changed and recompiled the CLP. I ended up just removing the failing DSPAUT since I had earlier /corrupted/ the &filename with the null character, so I chose to just leave out the display authority request rather than have two versions of the file name :-) Notice in the source which I included below, that I even had declared [and used] a two-byte binary for the permissions at some point, thinking maybe that what was type mode_t, could have been smallint versus int... but no joy of course; eventually I found the definition where mode_t is declared as int. The docs do suggest the mode must be "a valid value", but I do not recall they mention the effect for having specified an invalid value; probably just to ignore. So perhaps there is something not obvious about the translation from the permission octal values to the integer value, or as alluded, that the API is just not doing the right thing with the parameter being passed to the open(). At this point I am leaning slightly toward defect, but almost as strongly that something might not be coded correctly just because it seems improbable the API is not also implementing similar requests and working fine [e.g. more generically making invocations for features like the IAS].

<code>

dcl &srvpgmnm *char 20 'QP0LLIB1 QSYS'
dcl &x00 *char 01 x'00'
dcl &procname *char 512 'open'
dcl &rtnvfmt *char 4 x'00000003'
dcl &openfmts *char 20 x'00000002000000010000000100000001'
dcl &nbrparms *char 4 x'00000004'
dcl &openflag *char 4 x'0100004A' /* text+creat+trunc+wronly */
/* &openflag *char 4 x'0900004A' /* inh+txt+crt+trun+wronly */
dcl &permiss *char 4 x'000001B6' /* 256 + 176 + 6 */
dcl &permissi *uint 4 438 /* 256 + 176 + 6 */
/*l &permiss *char 2 x'01FF' /* x'1C0' S_IRWXU owner aut? */
dcl &errcode *char 08 x'0000000000000000'
dcl &rtnval *char 2000
dcl &filename *char 20 'dltme.tst'
dcl &ccsid *char 4 x'00000025'

del &filename
monmsg CPFA0A9
chgvar &procname (&procname *tcat &x00 )
chgvar &filename (&filename *tcat &x00 )

call qzruclsp (&srvpgmnm &procname &rtnvfmt &openfmts +
&nbrparms &errcode &rtnval &filename +
&openflag &permissi &ccsid )

</code>

Regards, Chuck