Rich,

I'm certainly not disagreeing with your statement regarding "several very
awkward CL programs", but the Information Center does have the qualifying:

-----
Note: All non-MI source examples are provided in CL, because CL is the one
language (other than REXX) that is standard on all systems. Other
high-level languages (HLLs) could be used in place of the CL programs (and
in many cases would have been easier).
-----

Back in V1/V2 days when (some) users were clamoring for introductory
material on using MI it was deemed inappropriate to say you had to buy a
compiler such as RPG, COBOL, PL/I, C, etc in order to use the inherent
OS/400 capability to create MI programs. This would still be true today,
but was especially true then as each language compiler was separately
priced and ordered back in V1/V2. To tell a COBOL user they had to buy
the RPG compiler to get started (assuming RPG was used rather than CL), or
the RPG user that they needed PL/I just didn't seem to be the best
solution. So CL was used as it represented the one language most users
would be familiar with.

Today, with direct CL support for pointers, larger *Char variables, IFS
*STMFs, etc the examples could certainly be streamlined and made less
"awkward". But then today you can also directly imbed ILE MI into any of
the ILE languages so the need for updating/enhancing the OPM MI examples
isn't real high (or, as you say, strategic).

Bruce Vining (speaking only for himself and with a bit of a historical
view on this)

"Rich Hart" <richhart@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: mi400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/16/2007 08:57 AM
Please respond to
MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [MI400] front end RPG MI program

Mark,

Are those examples on the Web site better than the ones that used to use
several very awkward CL programs to put together the front end? Because a

blind man could do better in the dark than those examples! Perhaps IBM
has
updated the examples though. But probaby not. They don't see OPM MI as a

strategic product.

Chuckle.