So far, I've determined that the problem file has a null-capable date field, and appears to have been created in SQL. Unlike every DDS-created file we've seen with a null-capable date field, this one throws a data mapping error when you try to read the record with the nulled-out date field; also, in the input buffer, the nulled-out field has a "2" instead of a "1" in the nullmap.

Getting QuestView to simply ignore the data mapping error while reading the record with the odd nulled-out date field seems to have worked, but updating that record, and adding new records with nulled-out date fields, is still a problem.

First of all, if I try to update the record with the null date field, whether I leave the field blank or put a valid date in it, the update gets rejected. Updates work fine, however, on other records.

Second, if I try to add a new record, it takes the record whether I give it a valid date or attempt to null-out the date field, but when I read the record I added with a supposedly null date, the nullmap comes back all zeroes, indicating that rather than actually nulling the field, I put a default value of 01/01/01 in it.

By contrast, updating and adding records with null date fields works fine in our DDS-created null date test file.

I still don't understand what's going on here. I'm going to try and plug a "2" into the nullmap with the debugger on a write operation, and see what happens.

Dave? Leif? Are either of you here? Do either of you know what's going on with this crazy file?

--
JHHL