RE: PL/I on the AS/400...

> No idea if it is still available nor if the V4 PRPQ works on V5.

As far as PL/I on AS/400 goes, I currently spend about half my time writing or
maintaining PL/I programs on a V5R3 box - the rest of it on RPGLE (my company
(Computer Associates) has a product *now* called AllFusion 2E (but previously
known as Synon/2E) that is almost entirely written in PL/I - we have several
million lines of it over about 2000 programs). It looks as if the CRTPLIPGM CPP
was recompiled (at least) for V5R2.

> It was never a particularly good subset. As I recall, list-directed
> (sort of like C stdin/stdout) and data-directed (sort of like a really
> good implementation of FORTRAN's NAMELIST) I/O wasn't there, and the
> terminal support was particularly lousy.

If you read the AS/400 PL/I manuals, they only really seem to cover the
useful-to-mainframe bits, but the general DB2/400 I/O support is excellent and
you can effectively do dat-directed I/O pretty easily. It's also the best
implementation of pointers I've used - far better than C or RPGLE (although
space pointers only) - again, only mentioned briefly in the manuals. I've only
used PL/I a little on a mainframe, so I don't know what's missing in subset G.

> ILE PL/1 would be a much pleasanter environment than C (or even RPG IV or
> COBOL).

I tried for a while to create PL/I programs, use SST to 'change' them into
modules and then bind them but it never worked (sigh!). However, a combination
of the PL/I run-unit and external variables (defined in the run-unti but
accessible from multiple programs) can mimic some of the benefits of ILE (like
simulating static binding).

Coincidentally, at V5R2, the CRTPLIPGM command dropped the TGTRLS parameter,
until someone made a fuss, which is why they patched it so that on a V5R3 box,
you need to specify the target release in the TEXT paramater, as e.g. CRTPLIPGM
PGM(MYPGM) TEXT('**V4R5M0This is my program') to create a V4R5M0-compatible
programs with text name of 'This is my program'.

Anyway, long story short: PL/I still alive and kicking on AS/400. We have about
3500 customers using 2E (including bits of IBM themselves!) and IBM assures us
that it's not going away.

Rory

Rory Hewitt
Software Architect