No, PL/I isn't gone....it's still out there...  I'm not exactly sure how
you get it nowadays but it is a live compiler....FAX/400 still uses it as
of v5r1 or maybe r2....been a year since they had to redo a program in
fax...  But fax requestor is written in PL/I...yeah, I know they call it
something else, but it's still the same stuff Susan wrote YEARS ago...

And, you're right, it was a poor implementation and not the full stuff
from Mainframe or Windows....