Did you see my response to your last post?  (I screwed up the headers, so it
didn't have a subject.)  It's in the archives at:

 http://archive.midrange.com/mi400/200408/msg00014.html

You may find the SEESAVF utility I mentioned handy for viewing save files
while they're still on the AS/400.  It shows both hex and characters (EBCDIC
and Unicode).

--Dave