From: mi400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mi400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Matthew D. Frederes
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 6:50 PM
To: mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [MI400] a working ppc emulator

There is a functional, open source PowerPC emulator for the x86 on the
internet called PearPC, www.pearpc.net <http://www.pearpc.net/> .  I believe
it emulates the PowerPC 750 chip.  It will run PPC Linux and Mac OS X, and
was designed to run a wide variety of PowerPC based operating systems.  I
have witnessed OS X running on a P4, and it was quite amazing.

I realize the PowerPC chip being emulated here is not exactly the same as
used in the iSeries, and that the iSeries chips have extended instructions
with undocumented IOPs, as pointed out in earlier posts.  Nevertheless, I
can not help but wonder what changes would need to be made to this emulator
to be able to IPL the SLIC.  It would be a lot of fun to see it work.

It could be that there is insufficient documentation available for the
peripherals to actually accomplish a working emulator.  Still, I'm curious
if anyone is interested in discussing this topic, or actually starting such
a project, using a base of code such as PearPC as a starting point.

Matt