Not sure who your writing to, since you say "he". The problem was asked and answered, generally through my own investigation but I appreciated the helpful comments from before. Read the thread. I have no clue why you wrote this or started with a back-handed remark. Terse comments are the bane of email, especially tech problems; it's a rough form of communication. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I've been working on midrange since the mid eighties and many other platforms(including thousands of lines of MI code). On the whole, the API's leave a lot to be desired compared to today's standards. Don't need reams of pages in a book, 25 parms, and 10 formats with another 25 parms. Take any non-400 Java/C/vendor API - the facilities, format and capabilities are generally excellent. Whenever I pull one of my /38,/400 MI or OS/400 manuals or web links out then I think "circumlocutorily".

By the way, what the hell is "home-grown" it's a vendor package and I've been a professional for over 20 years! : )

From: Gene_Gaunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: MI Programming on the AS400 / iSeries <mi400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [MI400] QCMDEXC errors
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:59:20 -0500

Well I think I read in other words, he complains circumlocutorily that neither QCMDEXC nor QCAPCMD log the commands they execute.

In a home-grown general purpose CL processing program, I don't recommend
QCMDEXC API.  It's a security hole.  Use QCAPCMD API instead.  This is
because the QCMDEXC API does not mask DSPINPUT(*NO) parameters from the job
log.  The QCAPCMD API does mask DSPINPUT(*NO) parameters from the job log
*if* you manage your message reference keys correrctly.   You need to tell
QCAPCMD API the message reference key of an *existing* message in your job
log that you want to overlay with the executing command.  Then QCAPCMD API
will work its magic and remove DSPINPUT(*NO) parameters in that command
from the job log.

Before you call QCAPCMD API, write your command as a *RQS message to the
external message queue (with either SNDPGMMSG command or QMHSNDPM API) and
capture the return message reference key.  Then receive that message by key
(with either RCVMSG command or QMHRCVPM API) but don't remove the message
from the job log.  Then, put that message reference key into QCAPCMD API's
parameter 3, data structure CPOP0100, positions 8 to 11.  For example,
suppose you want to execute the following command:

CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(AAA) PASSWORD(BBB)

Notice this command has a DSPINPUT(*NO) parameter, PASSWORD.  So first
send/receive the command to the job log and capture the message reference
key, and then pass that message reference key into QCAPCMD API.  Then your
job log will look like this:

CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(AAA) PASSWORD()