This goes back a ways, but I love those minor difficulties and details like
the show stopping ones...;-D

The show-stopper is politics.  I give Linus Torvalds a LOTTA credit for
developing and producing "the mythical THE ONE UNIVERSAL *NIX".  I don't
like his use of the GPL to develop a monopoly over the then-ATT-monopoly,
because it has resulted in more-or-less freezing out BSD and other flavors
from getting any WIDE-spread development, support, and usage.

I also don't much cotton to the fact that EVERY change to Linux has-ta go
through Mr. Torvalds, as that doesn't scale (as I believe we are and will be
seeing) as far as keeping up with innovation.  It's a semi-good way of
keeping the project focused though.

Imo.

Btw, I didn't know it was possible to get the IRP of ILE programs, but I
recall Barbara Morris saying IBM sure DOES consider that proprietary.  I'm
not sure if it's necessary to reproduce ILE, if you can replicate the
functionality, though.  That's what Baby/400, afaik.  Tough job, I'm sure.

I would suggest the possiblity that you could also get "the best of both
worlds" if you view a PC/*nix to iSeries server-server architecture as a way
to utilize the PC/*nix for what they do best, which is providing device
drivers.  And utilize the iSeries for what it does best, which is running
code reliably with low TCO.