That is OK Njal; no offense taken.  I am sure I need correcting every
once in a while.

I have been using the QUSLFLD  Api ever since about Version 1 Release 3
to generate a list of fields within database and/or device files (a
*DSPF is also a device file!).  That is when IBM first came out with the
Api, I believe.

>From what I have seen, looking at the other Api you mentioned, QUSLFLD
is much simpler; and, if all they want is to get a list of fields, is
probably the one they want.  It abends if the format in question has no
fields at all; such as the typical ASSUME record, but you can code for
that.

I have a utility called DFF (display file fields) that I have been using
for years; it gives a subfile (page size = 16) with list of fields in a
record format.  In the old days we had to call the QUSRTVUS Api to get
sections of the User Space to retrieve the field info; but now we can
use QUSPTRUS (or the RSLVSP instruction) to access it via a pointer.

My V3R2 machine won't do pointer arithmetic in ILE though!  But there
are ways around that.

Rich